Parent Meetings Announced for Language Immersion Program
- Click Here for complete details, dates, locations and times (Posted 12/17/15)
Capistrano is proud to have a Spanish and English language immersion program and a Mandarin and English immersion program. Immersion programs provide a unique educational model where children learn to think, read, write, and communicate naturally in two languages: English and Spanish or English and Mandarin. Students from many different cultural and linguistic backgrounds study together to be biliterate in both languages.
Why is it Beneficial?
Students achieve dual language proficiency in English and Spanish or English and Mandarin while developing high-level academic skills. Students develop respect and appreciation for other cultures, and experience in working and playing in multicultural settings.
- Parents are encouraged to take an active role in their child’s long-term education
- Biliteracy give students the options for careers requiring multilingual skills.
- Bilingualism helps develop strong thinking and reasoning skills useful for problem-solving in math and science.
What are the Program Goals?
- Bilingualism: Development of high levels of proficiency in the student’s first language and in a second language.
- Biliteracy: Perform at or above grade level in academic areas in both languages.
- Multiculturalism: Demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors, and high levels of self-esteem.
The immersion programs are highly sought-after specialized enrichment programs for students within Capistrano Unified. In order to ensure the program goals are met, classes are filled based on several criteria.
1.TOUR & INTEREST FORM: Success in an immersion program requires a long-term parent commitment and a high level of parent involvement. Whether parents are English, Spanish, or Mandarin speaking, they will need to provide support to their child as he or she studies both languages. Therefore, parents are required to attend an orientation tour and complete an interest form prior to enrolling their child.
2.PARENT INTERVIEW: Parents will complete an interview to assure alignment between parent goals and expectations and program goals and expectations. Parents of English learners are required to sign a waiver to participate in the program based on California Education Code.
3. ASSESSMENT: Students may be given a school-readiness assessment and possibly a language assessment to determine the level of readiness and proficiency in the primary language.
4.SCHOOL OF CHOICE ENROLLMENT: Parents who reside outside the school’s regular attendance boundaries will need to complete a School of Choice application online.
5.ENROLLMENT PACKET: Once a child has received written notification that he/she is accepted into the program, parents must complete an enrollment packet and return it to the school office. Failure to return a completed packet within the school’s timeline may result on a waiting list.
A Two-Way Language Immersion Program in Spanish is offered at Las Palmas Elementary School, San Juan Elementary School, Viejo Elementary School, Marco Forster Middle School, Bernice Ayer Middle School, San Clemente, and San Juan Hills High School. In this program, English Language learners and native English speakers receive instruction in English and Spanish. The District also offers a Mandarin Immersion Program at Bergeson Elementary School. Students from these programs develop bi-literacy in reading, writing, and speaking English and Spanish or Mandarin.
For additional information about the schools that offer this program, please visit their web sites:
- Bergeson Elementary School: http://bgnes.capousd.ca.schoolloop.com/
- San Juan Elementary School: http://sjes.capousd.ca.schoolloop.com/
- Las Palmas Elementary School: http://lpes.capousd.ca.schoolloop.com/
- Viejo Elementary School: http://vjes.capousd.ca.schoolloop.com/
- Bernice Ayer Middle School: http://bams.schoolloop.com/
- Marco Forster Middle School: http://mfms.schoolloop.com/
- San Juan Hills High School: http://www.sjhhs.org/