Student Work Permits
California law requires any student under the age of 18 to obtain a work permit. The hours a student may work vary according to age.
- 15 years and under: When school is not in session, they may work no more than 8 hours on any day and 40 hours a week maximum.
- 16 years and over: When school is not in session, they may work no more than 8 hours on any day and 48 hours a week maximum.
Work permit applications can be downloaded and printed at: www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/dlseformB1-1.pdf
- Complete student section
- The Employer completes and signs employer section
- Parent statement signed by one parent or guardian
- Complete social security number
- There is no minimum GPA required for summer work permits. These permits will all expire in September, so there is no risk in issuing one without a grade check this summer.
- Return to the designated location
- Allow 24 hours to process
- The completed work permit is picked up by the student and taken to his/her employer.
- Each new job requires a new work permit. The permit is made out to the employer. It's the Law!