The purpose of School Attendance Review Board (SARB) is to provide a coordinated community effort to meet the needs of those students with school attendance problems. Pursuant to Education Code 48200, every child from ages 6 to 18 is required to attend school on a regular basis. Students who have continued attendance problems, along with their parents, are required to attend a hearing with the SARB Panel. The SARB Panel consists of school officials as well as representatives of law enforcement, social services, and community organizations.
The goal of the SARB Hearing is to review the student’s attendance issues and offer alternative solutions and community resources to help remediate the student’s attendance problem. Referrals to specific community agencies and/or changes to the student’s school program may be made. Parents and students will be asked to sign an attendance agreement requiring improved student attendance. If these efforts fail to bring a solution to the problem, SARB can make a referral to Orange County Probation or the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.
Steps Leading to a SARB Hearing:
When a student reaches the following number of unexcused absences/truancies or tardies greater than 30 minutes the following will take place:
1. 3 or more full days elementary/18 or more periods middle school/9 or more periods high school:
- The student is classified as a truant
- SARB letter #1 is mailed home to the parent/guardian
2. 8 or more full days elementary/48 or more periods middle school/24 or more periods high school:
- The student is classified as a repeat truant
- SARB letter #2 is mailed home to the parent/guardian
- A meeting is scheduled with a school administrator, the parent/guardian and the student
3. 14 or more full days elementary/84 or more periods middle school/42 or more periods high school:
- Student is classified as a habitual truant
- SARB letter #3 is mailed to the parent/guardian
- The parent/guardian and the student are required to attend a meeting with the District Attorney at the school District office
4. Continued absences following the District Attorney meeting:
- The parent and student are required to attend a SARB Hearing at the Sheriff’s Station
- The parent/guardian and the student sign an attendance contract
5. Continued absences following the SARB Hearing:
- A referral is made to Orange County Probation or the District Attorney ‘s Office
If you have questions regarding your student’s attendance, please contact the school attendance office.
If you have additional questions regarding the SARB process, please contact:
Jenna Perry, SARB Coordinator (949) 234-9344