About the Transitional Kindergarten Program
The Capistrano Unified School District began offering the Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program in fall of 2012. Transitional Kindergarten is being offered to students who, due to the kindergarten age rollback, miss the cutoff to enter kindergarten. This will be the first year of a two-year kindergarten program provided for in the SB 1381 legislation or the Kindergarten Readiness Act 2010. Transitional Kindergarten is offered at select sites. At the end of the Transitional Kindergarten year, students will matriculate to their home schools for regular kindergarten.
For more information, please contact Debbi Keeler, Director, Early Childhood Programs
at (949) 234-5341.
2016-2017 Transitional Kindergarten
The age requirements for Transitional Kindergarten for the 2016-2017 school year include children that turn 5 years of age September 2 – December 2, 2016. The registration process for TK includes the following steps:
1. Attend a TK Parent Information Night from 7-8 PM at the following locations:
- Tuesday, January 12, 2016 – Wood Canyon Elementary School, Aliso Viejo, multi-purpose room
- Thursday, January 14, 2016 – Ladera Ranch Elementary School, Ladera Ranch, multi-purpose room
- Thursday, January 28, 2015 – Marblehead Elementary School, San Clemente, multi-purpose room
- Thursday, February 4, 2015 – CUSD Board Room, San Juan Capistrano
2. Submit the 2016-2017 Intent to Register Transitional Kindergarten form by Friday, February 19th, 2016. The form is located below.
3. By February 26th, 2016, parents will be notified via email and U.S. mail regarding their child’s placement in the TK program and receive a placement letter. Placement is determined as follows:
- TK students with an older sibling who already attends their school of choice will be given first priority.
- TK students who have their home school as their school of choice will be given second priority.
- The remaining available seats will be filled by lottery system.
Every effort is made to place the student at the school site nearest to their home that is offering the TK program.
4. The placement letter that is sent home outlines the next steps to be taken in the registration process (i.e., on-line registration and forms that must be submitted to the school site). The placement letter must be submitted to the school assigned along with the completion of the online registration at their home school prior to completing registration at the assigned school.
Forms received after February 19th, 2016, placement will be done on a first-come first-served basis, based on availability after the initial placements have been completed.
Age requirements for the 2016-2017 school year include children turning five between September 2nd and December 2nd 2016.
2015-16 TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Age requirements for the 2015-2016 school year include children turning five between September 2nd and December 2nd, 2015. During the school year you may register for the program by completing the TK Intent to Register Form below for the 2015-2016 school year. This form may be emailed directly to the District or delivered to the District office.
Spaces are available at a few locations. If you have any questions regarding the Transitional Kindergarten Program and/or the registration process, please contact Mary Manos at (949) 234-5342 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The school sites offering the TK Program for the 2015-2016 school year are:
- Don Juan Avila Elementary School
- Bathgate Elementary School
- Truman Benedict Elementary School
- Chaparral Elementary School
- Crown Valley Elementary
- Kinoshita Elementary School
- Las Flores Elementary School
- George White Elementary School
- Moulton Elementary School
- Marblehead Elementary School
- Tijeras Creek Elementary School
- Reilly Elementary School