The Capistrano Unified School District began offering the Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program in fall of 2012. To qualify, students must turn five years old September 2-December 2, 2014. Transitional Kindergarten is being offered to students who, due to the kindergarten age rollback, miss the cutoff to enter kindergarten. This will be the first year of a two-year kindergarten program provided for in the SB 1381 legislation or the Kindergarten Readiness Act 2010. Transitional Kindergarten is offered at select sites. At the end of the Transitional Kindergarten year, students will matriculate to their home schools for regular kindergarten.
For more information, please contact Debbi Keeler, Director, Early Childhood Programs at (949) 234-5341.
TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Age requirements for the 2014-2015 school year include children turning five between September 2 and December 2, 2014. During the school year you may register for the program by completing the TK Intent to Register Form below for the 2014-2015 school year. This form may be emailed directly to the District or delivered to the District office.
Spaces are available at a few locations. If you have any questions regarding the Transitional Kindergarten Program and/or the registration process, please contact Mary Manos at (949) 234-5342 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The school sites offering the TK Program for the 2014-2015 school year are:
- Don Juan Avila Elementary School
- Bathgate Elementary School
- Truman Benedict Elementary School
- Crown Valley Elementary School
- Kinoshita Elementary School
- Ladera Ranch Elementary School
- Las Flores Elementary School
- Clarence Lobo Elementary School
- George White Elementary School
- Moulton Elementary School
- Marblehead Elementary School
- Tijeras Creek Elementary School
- Reilly Elementary School
Interactive At-Home Transitional Kindergarten Program
Are you interested in an interactive at-home transitional kindergarten program for your child? In the fall of 2014, the Capistrano Unified School District will offer an interactive at-home transitional kindergarten program as an alternative to the traditional classroom program being offered at three school sites. The program is free of charge to eligible students.
Eligible students for the interactive at-home transitional kindergarten program are:
- Students who will turn five between September 2-December 2, 2014, or
- Students who are kindergarten-age eligible, five years old on or before September 1, 2014, where parents have chosen not to send them to kindergarten in fall of 2014.
This interactive, standards-based curriculum combines rich multimedia with comprehensive hands-on activities. The program encourages excitement and creativity in the areas of math, science, reading, writing, social studies, wellness, and visual arts. Students experience a dynamic virtual classroom through the use of teacher videos, audio stories, animated characters, and interactive games. By combining these online activities with various hands-on elements like activity books, experiments, art projects, and a collection of illustrated storybooks, students will receive a complete and fulfilling educational experience.
In addition to the online interactive program, parents will receive guide books that include detailed explanations of the objectives and directions to help your child complete the activities, experiments, projects, and games. Also provided is a supply box filled with the necessary materials to complete the program. Supplies include: early color and shape cards, phonics flashcards, letter cards, number cards, sight word cards, activities books, plastic coins, unifix cubes, drawing paper, paint, modeling clay, dry erase board with markers, and much more. For more information about this interactive at-home program please visit http://littlelincoln.org/about.
To speak with a representative from the Capistrano Unified School District, please contact Capistrano Virtual School at 949-234-9374.
2015-2016 Transitional Kindergarten
The age requirements for Transitional Kindergarten for the 2015-2016 school year remain the same as for the 2014-2015 school year. Children must turn 5 years of age between September 2 – December 2, 2015. The registration process for TK includes the following steps:
1. Attend a TK Parent Information Night from 7-8 PM at the following locations:
- Tuesday, January 13, 2015 – Wood Canyon Elementary School, Aliso Viejo
- Thursday, January 15, 2015 – Ladera Ranch Elementary School, Ladera Ranch
- Thursday, January 29, 2015 – Clarence Lobo Elementary School, San Clemente
- Thursday, February 12, 2015 – CUSD Board Room, San Juan Capistrano
2. Submit the 2015-2016 Intent to Register in Transitional Kindergarten form by Friday,
February 20th; the form is located below.
3. By March 15, 2015, parents will be notified via email and U.S. mail regarding their child’s
placement in the TK program. Placement is determined as follows:
- TK students with an older sibling who already attends their school of choice will be given first priority.
- The remaining available seats will be filled by lottery system.
Every effort is made to place the student at the school site nearest to their home that is
offering the TK program.
4. The placement letter that is sent home outlines the next steps to be taken in the
registration process (i.e., on-line registration and forms that must be submitted to the
For students whose Intent to Register forms are received after February 20th, 2015, placement will be done on a first-come first-served basis after the initial placements have been completed.